Friday, August 31, 2007

Taken From the Archives Pt. 3

It's been awhile since I have been on a long road trip. Everyone knows that when you take a road trip, one cant take for granted the power of a great mix cd. I would have loved to make a new mix, but my desktop from 1997 is whirring up a horrendous sound (the hamster running the wheel must be getting tuckered out) and I'm scared of my computer to be quite honest. So, before I made my 5 hour trek up to Stockton I blew the dust off my old Body Glove cd case and tossed it in the dusty Accord.

It's a unique feeling when you listen to a mix that was made years ago... it totally brings you back to that very specific time. I pulled out some classics and it was a lot of fun; and a great mix can almost makes you look forward to the long drive. However, I was running out of mixes and I still had 3 hours left. Flipping way in the back of the case was a teal, unmarked cd. I never have owned any blank teal cds, but there was one person who did... Lynn. I knew that whatever music that was on that cd would be songs that I would directly associate with her and me. Us.

I made a decision, I was going to take my music back. I found these songs first. I was the one who introduced them to her. These were MY songs.

I popped in the cd and just as I anticipated, a flood of memories came back to me: a trip to the beach, singing in the car around the hometown, driving down on the weekends from college. My stomach dropped after the first couple of songs and I chewed through my fingernails until I actually drew blood. I got through about 3 songs, skipped 4 and then ejected the cd. I dont think Im as over it as I thought I was. Underestimating the power of music & memory is a fragile thing. It'll be awhile before I play that mix again.

But I think it means something that I gave it a shot.

Rick: big ups for trying to reclaim and props for knowing when to stop

No comments:

Post a Comment