Thursday, August 2, 2007

A 6 Pack and Eternal Sunshine

There are some things you just have to nut up, plunk down some serious scratch for and not feel guilty about it. A few months back I was wandering through the stacks of Borders and I was stopped in my tracks by the sight of a silvery DVD cover. The special edition of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. One of my frat brothers forgot to return my copy in college and I never replaced it. Damn... $30? For a DVD?

Fuck it. I had to get it. It's a Charlie Kaufman masterpiece.

For some reason or another, I didn't watch it right after I purchased it. I let it sit in my steamer trunk for months. Coming home from a rough day in "the cube", my roommates and I polished off quite a few brewskies. After the roommates went to bed and the house was quiet, I had the sudden (drunken) urge to watch it.

I had forgotten how fucking good that movie is.

*SPOILER ALERT*

Some of my favorite lines:

Howard: You want to empty your home, you want to empty your life, of Clementine.

Joel: Mierzwiak! Please let me keep this memory, just this one.

Clementine: I wish you'd stayed.
Joel: I wish I'd stayed, too. Now I wish I'd stayed. I wish I'd done a lot of things. I wish I'd... I wish I'd stayed... I do.

After Joel realizes that he's experiencing his last memory with Clementine before it is erased

Clementine: This is it, Joel. It's going to be gone soon.
Joel: I know.
Clementine: What do we do?
Joel: Enjoy it.

Joel: Can you hear me? I don't want this any more! I want to call it off!

Clementine: I had you pegged, didn't I?
Joel: You had the whole human race pegged.
Clementine: Hmm. Probably.
Joel: I still thought you were gonna save my life... even after that.
Clementine: Ohhh... I know.
Joel: It would be different, if we could just give it another go-round.
Clementine: Remember me. Try your best; maybe we can.

And this is my all time favorite ending to a movie...

Joel: I can't see anything that I don't like about you.
Clementine: But you will! But you will. You know, you will think of things. And I'll get bored with you and feel trapped because that's what happens with me.
Joel: Okay.
Clementine: Okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment