Thursday, August 16, 2007

Ph.D. Ponderings

I became close friends with an acquaintance of mine in college about the time my relationship with Lynn ended. Riley's boyfriend had just ended their relationship and it was nice to be able to talk to someone who could relate to a similar situation, who asked the same questions, and didn't mind listening to me being an emo bitch for hours on end. It was a symbiotic friendship where we both helped each other out as best we could. We still occasionally check-in with each other every once in awhile and have heart to hearts when things are particularly rough.

Riley: do you have time for a mini h2h?
So@24: Of course. What's going on?
Riley: now its not all about greg, but more about my life in general. i'm trying to decide whether or not to get my phd and there are a lot of things to consider, but i can't help but think that guys are intimidated by smart girls
So@24: Where is all this coming from?
Riley: i'm starting to think i'm going to be single for a long time. i dont want to end up alone with my cat and my degree!
So@24: Where is this all coming from though? What sparked this all of a sudden?
Riley: b/c i'm being a stupid girl and still feel a little bit lonely
So@24: I know you aren't seriously considering giving up your degree because you think guys don't like brains... unless... is that what you're saying?? Besides, look how many dates you've been on and we're only 24.
Riley: if you meet me and i tell you i'm getting a phd, doesn't that freak guys out a little
So@24: No! Not in the least. And you have to ask yourself... do you want to really date someone who is freaked out by your phd??
Riley: ugh, i know i know
So@24: I mean, give me a break. Those guys are fucking dbags if that's the case.
Riley: dbags! youre right and i feel like i know all of this, but i just need to hear it sometimes. b/c sometimes i get discouraged and think that guys want smart girls, but not girls who are too smart
So@24: I would disagree with that. At least amongst myself and my circle of friends
Riley: seriously! you are right! what kind of guy doesn't like smart chicks
So@24: Feeling a little bit better?
Riley: yeah... thanks man. so what's about you? any love interests?
So@24: hahahahah, nope. Not at this time! Riley: well if i knew any girls i thought could keep up with you... i'd gladly send them So@24: I cant tell if thats a compliment or not
Riley: it totally is! you're smartie and quick on your feet. witty and full of energy! not many girls can keep up... at least the ones that i know
So@24: HAHAHA! I don't know about all of that, but thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment