Thursday, November 22, 2007

Back in the Motherland Pt. 4: Spoony Spoony

While I'm down here, I try my best to see as many people as possible. Last night, I cleared out my evening to hang out with one of my closest college friends Beth.

We decided to kick things off right and pick up a 6 pack of Winterhook (it's winter, it's festive, and there's a high alcohol content) and a bag of Tim's Cascade Jalapeno chips. This combination was a staple for us back in school. We caught up with eachother's lives while sipping on our suds; our careers, dating, drunken stories, etc as we made our way to a local pub.

Beth and I didn't stay in the bar for long. She polished off her Rusty Nail rather quickly and we grew bored of people watching.

The walk back was more fun than the bar itself. As we stepped out into the Portland chill, Beth pulled out her gray gloves. Seeing that I didn't have any, she put her right one on and gave her left glove to me. She jumped off the steps and spun around to look at me. I gave her a confused look, she smiled, stepped back up to the steps, grabbed my hand and pulled me onto the sidewalk.

I mentioned in an earlier post that it's an odd sensation to hold someone's hand (no matter how trivial is may seem). It's still very weird and extremely comforting to hold a girl's hand. We laughed, held each other for balance as we headed back to her apartment.

If hand holding is weird, try spooning with a girl. There was nothing sexual about it, no hanky panky (sorry guys!). We grabbed each other for warmth and laughed some more about something insignificant, I'm sure. As "the little spoon", Beth interlocked her frozen fingers in mine, I kissed her on the forehead and we passed out.

It's been quite a while since I've had a member of the opposite sex sleep in same sheets as me. Being single after such a long relationship, I find myself missing these kinds of coupley things, even if it's not sexual.

Baby steps. Baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment