Saturday, November 17, 2007

Back in the Motherland Pt. 1: Sloppy Seconds

There's something funny about airports. It's a very "lovey" place. All around you people are embracing, holding hands, couples are kissing "hello" and kissing "goodbye". I used to be one of these.

Hmm.

I adjusted the weight from my shoulder strap and walked around a teary eyed girl watching her boyfriend head past security. "Get the fuck out of my way", went my inner monologue.


Ahhh Portland. Home sweet home. Stepping into my friends' apartment, a glass duck with amber liquid swishing around was shoved in my face.

So@24: What is this? -sniff- Black Velvet??
A nod and a shit eating grin was my friend Roger's response.

I missed these guys; they keep things simple. Some shots, showed me a little bit of their new PS3 and off to the Boiler Room for karaoke night. You really can't find a better combination to make my night.

The Portland scene is one of my favorites (a close second to Seattle). Down to earth Northwesterners is a refreshing pace from wannabe starlets. Ales were downed, shots taken, and I sang a beautiful rendition (if I do say so myself) of Asia's "Heat of the Moment" into a beer soaked microphone.

At one point of the night, I started chatting it up with a cute nursing student. She had her auburn hair pulled up in a thick ponytail, a faint spatter of freckles and a single dimple when she smiled (nice!). I'm not quite sure how I got to talking with her or what we were discussing (hmmm... the effects of alcohol...), but I got a good vibe and thought things were going pretty well.

However, later in the evening, she had her arms wrapped around my other friend Rich's waist while he lazily sipped his Drop Top.

Goddammit!

He didn't seem too interested in her; his eyes were wandering the bar and she was trying to flirt by whispering in his ear. Once she left his side to grab another cocktail, I approached ol' Richy.

So@24: What's your deal man? How come you're giving her the cold shoulder. Don't you think she's cute?
Rich: Meh. I've already had her.
So@24: What!?
Rich: Yeah. Like... twice. -takes long sip-

You bastard. Doesn't even appreciate it! Well, I spent the last 20 mins trying to charm the pants off my friend's boning buddy.

Oh well. Still got a few more days to make my mark on Portland and then it's up to Seattle!

No comments:

Post a Comment