Saturday, April 24, 2010

Gyeongbokgung, Seoul

Palace Greatly Blessed by Heaven in 2010

Ancient Korean guards at the main gate Hyeungnyemun.

Gyeong·bok·gung [경복궁/景福宮] or the "Palace Greatly Blessed by Heaven" was the main palace of the Korean kings in the past. It was built during the Joseon Dynasty in the year 13941. This one is impressive with its gates and courtyards and less so with parks and pavilions. This palace consists of many buildings, that speak for themselves. I can say I was truly impressed. The weather was great, even though it was a cold day, I liked the blue sky, which gave me the chance to take some awesome photos.

The ticket for Gyeongbokgung costs 3000 Won (2€, as for April 2010) and you'll need about 45min to 1h to see everything (including the nearby Korean Folk Museum). Enjoy my photos:

The Palace

A famous gate, Gwanghwamun, is located just in front of the whole palace complex, but it's not seen on these photos. You can check some pics here. It's currently being restored.

Ancient Korean guards greet you at the main gate named Hyeungnyemun.

Geunjeongmun or the the third inner gate and the Yeongjegyo bridge before.

The sakura was amazing here as well. I had to take some photos.

Geunjeongmun, the gate before the throne hall from close.

Geunjeongjeon, the famous throne hall of the Korean kings. Check some snow pics here>>

Geunjeongjeon from close. More photos here>>

The throne of Korean kings inside.

The throne hall inside.

The colors are dazzling, don't you think?

Geunjeongjeon at 14:47.

The living quarters

The kings living quarters near Gangnyeongjeon.

Inside the chamber. Where is the TV? :-P

Those cushions look soft and comfortable. I want some.

The backyard.

Gangnyeongjeon, the king's sleeping place on the right.

Inside Gangnyeongjeon.

Backside of Gangnyeongjeon.

Gyotaejeon, sleeping and living place of the queen. I wonder what was going on here.

The Korean queen was residing here. Was this a place of great drama?

I left the living quarters of the ancient royalties and headed to another part.

Jagyeonjeong, late queens living quarters, built in 1865.

The living quarters end here and a nice park begins.

Hyangwonjeong

Hyangwonjeong pavilion surrounded by Hyangwonji lake and accessible by the Chwihyangyo bridge. The pavilion's name means "Pavilion of Far-reaching Fragrance" and it's really one of the most beautiful places I have seen in Seoul. More about it here>>

Hyangwonjeong pavilion from close.

One of my favorite photos of my Korea trip. I sat on a bench here and was speechless.

Hyangwonjeong pavilion from afar.

The gate to king Gojong's Residence.

King Gojong's residence also called Geongcheonggung, restored in 2007.

Gojong was a Korean king in the 19th century. My Gyeongbokgung tour ends here.


How do you like my photos?

No comments:

Post a Comment