Tuesday, April 20, 2010

About Korean women and girls

...in comparison with Taiwanese girls


Since there's so many stereotypes about Korean women and girls, I decided to write a post dedicated to them. I'm fairly known for being a good observer and a man, who appreciates the grace and beauty of women, so I think you can rely on my good observation skills and trust me, that the information about women is very reliable, hehe (ok, I'm exaggerating a little here). Anyway, I always believed that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, which means that it's a highly subjective matter, so you can't really debate it. I mean really debate it. So what I saw in Seoul, someone else may see it totally differently. Please keep that in mind.

My first impression of Korean women and girls was positive, but I wasn't as amazed as I expected to be before my trip. I guess my expectations were too high. The truth is, look-wise, there are so many kinds of women, from tall to short, from those who wear a lot of make up and those without any. There's no typical Korean woman, there are just many types, a whole variety of looks and styles. And same goes for Taiwan, its female population is very diverse as well. But doesn't that go for all women every where you go? I guess so.

With that said, there are some things about Korean women, that I have noticed and I wanna share that with you. And remember, this is about some Korean women, not all of them. I don't like generalizations of the type like all Korean women are like...or all Chinese women are like... This is about some things that stood out a little. Here we go:

Three generations of Korean women. The woman on the right caught my attention.

Interesting things I have observed during my Korea trip:
  • Most Korean women I saw dressed conservatively. By that I mean, that they still dressed womanly, most often wore high heels, stockings, skirt and jacket, but their style was elegant, refined, only subtly sexy. They looked rather serious and unapproachable. Even young women in their early twenties would wear clothes that you would expect on women over forty.
Black high-heels with a zip behind are totally in these days.
  • Black seems to be the most common color. It's amazing to see how many Korean women and girls wore black shoes, black stockings and a black skirt with black jacket. I don't know, if that's a current fashion or if it's a typical style for the common Korean woman. Maybe someone can enlighten me on this. If you compare Taiwanese women, they are much more playful. Even older girls and women around 30 would wear cute stuff and colorful clothes with various accessories and a matching make up. Not Korean. I didn't see many Korean girls with thick make up and flashy clothes.
  • Many Korean women wear jeans (the type like the girl below). I haven't seen so many Taiwanese girls wearing them, but that may be due to the climate. Seoul is much colder these days (in April), between 3-13 degrees Celsius during the day.
  • Many Korean women tie their hair in a bun. That's not so common with the Taiwanese women and girls, who prefer their hair open.

  • Korean women usually don't wear thick makeup. Same goes for Taiwanese women. But both of them still look good. The makeup is usually subtle. I guess the opposite are Japanese women and Asian American and Asian Canadian women. Am I wrong? :-)

  • Korean women and girls don't wear fake eye lashes as often as Taiwanese women. I still saw some of them wearing them, but it's really not as much as you see in Taipei, where maybe every third one wears them.
A Korean girl renting a bike in Yeouido.
  • Korean women and girls are usually skinny. I really haven't seen a single obese girl. But that's also true for Taiwanese women, who are mostly skinny (and petite) as well.

  • Most Korean women's skin is fairer than the one of (most) Taiwanese women, but that may be due to the climate as well. Taiwan is a subtropical island, while Korea has long cold winters, so that makes sense.

  • Some Korean girls are pretty tall. Some were even taller than me "-_- I'd say Taiwanese women and girls are (in average) shorter.

  • Many older Korean women also wear make up and take good care of themselves. But same is true for many Taiwanese women.
Beautiful Korean girls taking photos near the cherry blossoms in Yeouido.
  • There are many beautiful girls in Seoul, but I'd say there are more in Taipei. There were moments, where a stunningly gorgeous girl passed by and looked like one of these girls here. But I must admit that this was not as often as in Taipei. Both cities have plenty of beautiful women, but I really think that there are more beauties in Taipei. Actually as someone who wrote a lot about beautiful Korean women (see here), I was highly surprised that I came to this conclusion. I was really pondering over this a lot, but I just can't deny that there's so many beautiful women in Taipei, it's really amazing. But Korea is for me a very close runner-up for me, that's for sure. I've seen extremely gorgeous girls in both countries and all I can say is: Thumbs up. Korea and Taiwan are awesome! :-)
Sure God created man before woman. But then you always
make a rough draft before the final masterpiece.
~Author Unknown

What's your impression of Korean [and Taiwanese] women?

No comments:

Post a Comment