Tuesday, November 10, 2009

About chopsticks

I mentioned in one of my previous posts, that I collect chopsticks. Let me now introduce to you my chopsticks collection. These chopsticks were bought during my several travels to Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong. But the collecting started, when a Japanese friend sent me one pair of chopsticks (hashi in Japanese) and the chopstick rest (hashioki) in a shape of a bunny. Check the pictures below:

1 Sent by my Japanese friend 2,3,4 Expensive ones bought in Penang 5,6 Bought in Hong Kong (came with the 2 ducks) 7 My fav to use, bought a set in Penang 8 Worst quality chopstics, made of plastic
9 Bought a set in Singapore near Sultan mosque 10 I got those at a hawker in Malaysia and kept them


I had my first real encounter with chopsticks when I first traveled to Singapore in 2005. I've been there twice that year and there was quite few occasions where I had to use them. I admit, I was clumsy and failed to grab a piece several times. Whenever someone saw my embarrassing attempts to pick up food, they immediately offered me a fork. But at that time, I was mostly spending time with Malays, so I didn't need to use chopsticks too often and I switched to fork gladly.
That changed in 2007, when I traveled to Penang (Malaysia) for the first time. At that time I dated my ex girlfriend, who was Chinese and I really wanted to learn how to use chopsticks. It took some time, but I eventually mastered it. Then, by being so proud of myself [*Ang moh know use chopstick meh?]. I got so fascinated by these eating utensils, that I started to collect them. And now I even use them at home in Europe, although not very often.
See the pic on the left? I just tried to see, if I'm still capable to hold them right, and guess what? I can! :-) [*So proud of myself again]. I have the feeling I will need this skill next year, when I plan to return to Asia.
Chopsticks are called 筷子[kuài​zi] in Chinese and there's something I've been told one should never do: Never stick them in a bowl of rice vertically, because it resembles incense sticks, that are used for praying! I either put them on top of the bowl or on the chopstick rest, if provided. The basic rule is: Use them to pick the food and eat. Don't make noise with them [*they're not drum sticks!], don't use them to pierce food and don't play with them. Then you should be fine. And if you wanna see how you hold them right, check the gif. image on the right. Can you hold them right?

Now tell me:
  • Do you use chopsticks often or rarely?
  • At what age did you learn to use them?
  • Any funny story regarding chopsticks?
Links: [Wikipedia] Photos: [first 2 by MKL, gif image by Fantes Kitchen Ware Shop]

No comments:

Post a Comment