Sunday, August 2, 2009

Out of luck this year! Why?

Today I was remembering this year's Chinese new year celebrations. I was thinking how many things I did to have a happy lucky year:

- I wore a red shirt.
- I attended the reunion dinner
- I visited grandma the second day
- I visited friends, always brought 2 oranges
- I said 农历新年 to tons of people
- I recieved a lot of angpau (red packages)
- I went to many temples
- I threw noodles in the air, ate the fortune fish
- I bought many suvenirs like on the pic, it's the Chinese sign fú 福 and it means 'good fortune'



Ok, to be honest, these are the things I didn't do:

- I didn't touch a fortune fish at a temple
- I didn't stroke a Buddha's belly at a temple
- I didn't pray at the temple

But nevertheless, did I deserve the misfortune I have now and all the bad things that happened this year to me? I really don't know, if all these things one does for good luck really work. This is a list of the bad things that happened to me this year so far:

- My grandpa died before my return from Malaysia
- My 11 years old cat died before my return from Malaysia
- A 40 years old willow infront of our house fell due to heavy snow
- My uncle caused a lot of stress after grandpa's death, inheritance issues
- My ex broke up, even though 2 months ago we seemed to be happy
- Severe hayfever disabled me for 3 months, on top I got heavy flu
- Unexpected heavy hail put a lot of dents on my car's bonnet
- Car's battery ran out, needed few days to fix
- Crazy weather, whole May and June was raining
- Our newborn kitten was killed by a vicious unknown tom-cat
- A lightning nearly missed our house, but it destroyed our phone line,
no internet 8 days

That's why I am very curious: Am I cursed? Did I ran out of luck? I was never a fan of celebrations, but for the first time, I was so happy to be part of one. It was Chinese new year. I know I will be in the mood of celabrating it next year, even I probably won't be around Chinese people. I have fond memories of this year's celabrations. And even if it's not a happy year for me, I will try to keep the good memories up and not dwell on the bad. I think now I have another 6 months until the next Chinese new year. Who knows, maybe my luck will improve. Maybe good things will start happening to me. I hope so. And I wish you, dear reader, the same!
[Photo by MKL]

No comments:

Post a Comment