Thursday, May 8, 2008

More Than Just Her and Me

While Leo and Leroy embarked on a journey in the video game sense, I thought it might be a good idea to start cooking my lunches for the remainder of the week.

As I was chopping up a few mushrooms for my spaghetti, I got a phone call from Andy, my ex's mother. I continued to chop away as I held the cellphone between my shoulder and cheek.

This isn't anything out of the ordinary. As I've mentioned before, she will call me occasionally to check up on me and see how my life is going. But something during the conversation made me step back a bit and think.

After catching her up to date on everything that is So@24 (career, family, dating [ha!], movie recommendations, etc), I asked Andy about what was new in her life.

She casually mentioned that she decided to sell her house. I could sense there was some sadness in her voice.

So@24: I can't believe you have to sell that house. Are you bummed?
Andy: I'm a little sad. But at the same time, it's not special anymore.
So@24: What do you mean?
Andy: The best times I've had are when you two were in high school; when you were dating. Those have been my favorite memories of that house and I can say, I think I was happiest then. But when you moved to California after college, then Lynn followed, the the break up... now, it's just not that special.

I didn't ask her to elaborate on that. We continued talking about other things until I had to go to finish up my pasta.

***

Andy's words, at face value, really aren't significant. But it got me thinking about something that I never considered before.

When a breakup happens (and a few months thereafter), you're consumed about just yourself and just your now, ex-significant other. It's all about you, you, you. You and her are the only ones that feel the impact of this "monumental" event that has happened.

But breakups can effect others too. And it's an idea that I never once considered until now. It has the ability to actually effect other people's lives as well.

Not sure if I have a point to this, but it was something that made me step back and think for a second. Perhaps that's good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment