Friday, May 2, 2008

Key to the Past

Jenny was on her way to pick me up for our bi-monthly night of sushi. I, in classic fashion, could not for the life of me find my house keys in the warzone-aftermath that is my desk.

I was getting out of the shower, scrambling to put one leg through a pair of jeans and shoveling trash off my desk to find this illusive key, when suddenly I knocked over a picture frame on my desk.

Something caught my eye. A tiny piece of paper sticking out of the back of the frame.

"What the fuck..."

I open the back of the picture frame and nestled inside was a worn piece of notebook paper.

I recognize the handwriting immediately. A note from Beth.


After my first read, I slowly sat down at the edge of my bed. Imagine the scene for a second: water is dripping off my hair into tiny puddles on the hardwood floor, Jenny will be at the door any second now, I am in my boxers with only one jean leg on, reading this note. Confused as fuck.

When was this written? Based off the context, it had to have been years ago when I was in college.

But what's really said in this? What's Beth trying to tell me? It does provide some insight into why reasons why nights like this have happened. And she says some extremely kind words, but does it really give me insight to what's going on in that brain of her's? Not really. It's the same kind of vague, I'm almost going to say something that will absolutely turn your world upside down...

... but nevermind.

It's been too long since this letter was written to do anything about it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment