Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Single Males In Their 20s Going Alone to a Movie Club

There's a dramatic decrease in activity when you're the single male. You no longer have that, "Hey, I'm bored. I'm coming over" plan that you come to rely on with your girlfriend. Your Friday nights are suddenly free. And guess what? So are your Saturday nights. Sunday afternoons...

Coming back from work yesterday, I tossed my keys and wallet into my desk, Leo was on his way out the door.

So@24: Where are you going?
Leo: Girl invited me out for dinner. Can't pass up a free meal, right?
So@24: I hate you.

Well fuck. Now I'm bored as hell and alone in the apartment. I paced around back and forth until I said, "Fuck it." and Googled movie times for The Dark Knight in my area. Sure enough, there was a showing in 30 mins a few blocks away.

I've never been to a movie alone before, but I figured now is a good of time as any to try tip toe out of my comfort zone. After all, I gotta get used to this shit when Leo takes off.

I took complete advantage of looking like a 14 year old and purchased a single, student discount ticket. An evening showing of the The Dark Knight on a Monday night; not too many people in the theater. These guys were probably seeing it for the second time, like myself. I grabbed a center seat and enjoyed 152 minutes of complete film-ecstasy.

When the theater lights went up, I got a chance to take in my fellow theater goers. There were about 6 or 7 of us. All men. All single. All going to a movie alone on a week night.

We were a little club. We had this unspoken bond. We weren't the single guys all scrambling to get the last decent scented candle in the "Bed + Bath" section of Target in preparations of having a girl come over. We ventured out of our studio apartments sans a girl on our arms. We were just... "those" guys.

Before stepping out to begin my walk home, I zipped up my hoodie and looked over at another guy who was lighting up a cigarette. We made eye contact and I gave him a nod:

"I'm with you buddy, I'm with you."

No comments:

Post a Comment