Monday, September 8, 2008

The Letter

A few month's ago my ex-girlfriend's (Lynn) mom Andy was hospitalized temporarily. I continued to talk to her on occasion, but I got the sense that she was bored or lonely; most likely a combination of both. "They don't let me do anything!" During one of our phone conversations I asked if she wanted to take on a project I had for her, if she was up to it.

I had a grocery bag FILLED with photographs, dating all the way back from freshman year of high school to when I first moved to Los Angeles. Unorganized, overwhelming, and I've been too lazy to ever put them in albums.

Andy offered to put them into albums for me, so I sent them to her.

The day I was moving, I had a package waiting for me on my porch. Opening the box, the smell of Lynn's house immediately bitch slapped me. I haven't smelt that in forever. It's like in the cartoons when the smell from the pie cooling on the windowsill turns into a hand and beckons to the cat which causes it to float a few inches from the ground.

There are somethings that you wait until you have time and privacy to check into. I usually wait until right before bed to open these things. I cracked open an album and started looking at Andy's work. The last album I came across was one almost entirely dedicated to Lynn and me. Pictures I haven't seen forever. Some pictures I have never seen before. It was extremely emotional, but when I was finished I closed it and had a moment for myself.

This blog has evolved into something else besides an outlet for me to express my emo thoughts about my failed relationship. But for those who still read it to get insight on "closure", the letter that my exgirlfriend's mother tucked away in the pages of last album was something that was extremely touching and insightful. Especially since Andy, herself, is NEVER a serious person and rarely addresses the more serious subjects of life.

Reading her letter, I could feel my eyes burn a bit and got that "throat chokey" feeling (the smell didn't help), but when I finished and closed the last leather bound album, I was smiling. I've posted it below for those who still need that insight:

8/23/08

Sweet boy,

Well, here they are. I hope you weren't in a hurry.

It's weird. It turned out to be very emotional. Just thinking of your life, my life, and Lynn's. Who would have ever known how all of our lives would go?

There was a certain period that I know was the best ever to me, but I know that it is not good to think of the past too much. I am slowly learning to look forward at all three of our lives.

Now maybe I can think positively and just watch you two and myself go ahead. For a long time, I couldn't do that. Now we both can, and we might even be really happy.

Lynn too.

I hope we can always stay in touch. I know I want to.

Love,
Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment