Monday, November 24, 2008

There's a Time and a Place...

The town of Pullman, Washington will always have a special place in my heart. At face value, it's insignificant. It's a small town, isolated in the middle of nowhere in Eastern Washington... home of the Washington State University campus. My college's rival university.

But it was the home to some of my best college-partying stories. Back in school, I always made a goal to make the 5 and a half hour drive at least once a year and every time I'd come back with an epic tale of college debauchery.

When my good friends Jim and Eric invited me to join them for Apple Cup (the annual football game between the rival universities) this year, I couldn't refuse.

It should come to no surprise that my lack of physical-romantic interactions with women is well known within my circle of friends. The guys had high hopes for me this weekend and kept reassuring me, "we'll find you a nice little filly". I must admit that I was feeling particularly optimistic as well.

One thing that Wazzu has always been consistent at delivering: cute college girls that can drink anyone I know under the table.

* * *

I wish I had a story of conquest to share. I talked with a few girls where the conversations lasted more than a minute, but it wasn't a matter of trying to "get anywhere" with them. It was a matter of meeting new people, retelling the great stories of our college glory days (like the time our friend blacked out and woke up only to discover he purchased a gold plated iPod and couldn't return it because he had his name engraved with the words "Good Times."), and reconnecting with friends who I haven't seen for years.

New ladies would have been the wrong way to spend that time. And I was okay with that. It doesn't always have to be about trying to find that next one (or fix).

On the drive back to Seattle from Pullman, my buddy Jim turned around from the front seat to face me. I had just woken up from my third nap that morning, my body trying to recover from feeling like a punching bag.

"Oh man, I totally forgot about trying to set you up with a lady friend this weekend. We dropped the ball. Sorry about that."

It didn't even cross my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment