Monday, November 17, 2008

Hankering for a Danish

"Why are you so far away from me?
I need help and you're way across the sea
I could never touch you - I think it would be wrong
I've got your letter
you've got my song"
- Weezer's "Across the Sea"
A few weeks ago I received an extremely nice email on my So@24 account. From a girl in Denmark.

A Danish bird eh? My interest was immediately piqued.

I emailed her back (as I do all my emails) and we shared a brief exchange. Eventually we became Facebook friends and I saw pictures of my Danish reader.

You know how people use the expression "my jaw dropped", but they don't mean it literally? Mine actually did. Piercing blue eyes (I'm full of cliche's this evening, but trust me on this one), cute dimples, and a natural blond. Be still my blogging heart.

Since then we've been exchanging emails. Like paragraphy long emails! You have to understand, this is exciting shit for a guy like me.

This gorgeous girl went through and read my entire blog. A blog that doesn't hold back revealing the most humiliating mistakes with women, failure with online dating, or how I've gone on and on about a two year drought. And she still wrote to me. And continued writing to me.

To me!

When she wrote me, "Jeg var også jaloux over din "date" ;)"*

You couldn't wipe that stupid grin off my face. I totally geeked out like a giddy school boy; I can admit that.

Bah. Again, I'm a realist. It's most likely just harmless flirtation. If it was possible, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to ask her out for a drink, but Copenhagen isn't close (damn that Atlantic Ocean). And besides, I'm not sure the US dollar would do too hot over there.

But fuck, it's nice to have a cute, smart girl give a damn or give me the slightest bit of attention, even if it is in the form of electronic mail. It's fun! It feels good!

And yes all you cynics (e.g. Leo), I haven't forgotten what happened with the Irish girl, Caitlin. That whole experience was like the time when I came back from a soccer game, grabbed a bottle of refreshing Kiwi-Strawberry Snapple from the fridge to quench my thirst and began chugging; only to realize that my mom was using the bottle to keep her chicken broth. I haven't forgotten that disappointingly, salty gulp... but it wouldn't stop me from enjoying a tasty Snapple in the future. I just have to inspect the bottle closer for floating chicken bits before taking an enormous pull.

Okay not my best metaphor, but you get it.


I really can't help but wonder I pissed off some gypsy and as a result, got stuck with this curse. Why is it that when a gorgeous, intelligent girl shows any interest in me... she happens to live on the other side of the world?



$9.56 still remains untouched on my Skype account.

Maybe I'll be fortunate enough to use it up one of these days.









* Translated from Danish = "I was also jealous of your "date"

No comments:

Post a Comment