Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Taiwanese mafia infiltrating cement industry?

Cement mafia
Sometimes, when I walk around new or old Taipei, I'm noticing some strange things. On the photo above you can see how a Taiwanese construction company fixed a stretch of a sewer. The asphalt was torn up, a big hole was dug up, new concrete sewer pipes were laid in and the complete hole was filled up with concrete. That's definitely something I have seen for the first time. In my country they would fill the hole with the soil they previously dug up and use a roller to compress the surface. And I'm not sure, what is the purpose of those steel pillars sticking out there, but maybe some of you readers can enlighten me.

Btw, my friend told me that he heard about Taiwanese mafia being connected to the cement industry. If that's true, then it's no wonder that so much of Taipei is flooded with cement: Roads, streets, sidewalks. In some parts you won't find a single stretch of grass, which is pretty sad. Taipei needs more parks!

No comments:

Post a Comment