Thursday, February 19, 2009

Starting Over at 26: A Retrospective

I sit here at my computer. 30 mins away from turning 26. The beer cans are piling up as I've been staring at a blinking cursor for the last 45 mins trying to think of a way to write a birthday post.

I pulled up my birthday post from last year and thought I should comment on how things have changed since then.

Let's go through them together (at least the relevant ones)!

It's official. The last time my genitalia has made contact with another genitalia was when I was 23.

Mother fucker. Unfortunately this one is still true. So very, very true.

I really don't want to dwell on this one too much before I have to drag myself into the corner and weep in the fetal position.

And I swear, if one more person says, "But you live in LA!" I may have to punt a kitten.

Never met up with Beth.

Fuckadoodledoo. I haven't thought about my old friend Beth in a very long time. But it was about this time last year when I was to book an impromptu flight up to Portland to figure out what the hell was going on between us.

And then in one enormous, guns-blazin', no-holds-barred evening our friendship was over. One of my closest friends in college, gone in a flash.

Now, it takes something massive like a blog retrospective to think twice about her. Someone I was ridiculously close to dating a year ago is someone who I don't even know anymore.


Lynn emailed me on Sunday wishing me a happy birthday and wanting to meet up. She wants to come visit soon. Are you ready for that situation, Leo ol' buddy ol' pal?


It seems so bizarre to think that this only happened a year ago. In terms of my friendship with my ex girlfriend (the girl who essentially jump started this blog) has progressed so much in a year, for the better I should add.

Hanging out one-on-one for lunches, visiting her during the holidays, being notified that she's dating someone new and dusting it off like this guy.

My how I've grown.


* * *

Maybe it's the booze talking and I'm getting more contemplative than I normally would be, but does the title of my blog even make sense anymore? I mean, besides that I'm obviously not 24 anymore.

But what about starting over? Am I doing that still?

I guess so. There's still so many things I haven't experienced with someone new. Still haven't gone on a serious date yet. The road is long ahead, but there's some sunlight peeking over that hill, I think. Looking back from the events of the last year up until now, events in my life (strictly dating & romantically speaking) have changed dramatically.

And all for the better. Wouldn't you think?

* * *

Next weekend is when I am offically celebrating my escape from the womb. I am flying up to San Francisco to meet up with Leo. I have friends flying in from the East Coast, Portland, OR and Seattle, WA; an assault from all flanks. Who knows? I might even get Bree to join my band of rapscallion and me for drinks.

I expect all good things. And hopefully, some great blogging.

Who says nothing exciting happens in only a year?

No comments:

Post a Comment